Industrial Health and Safety Specialist
Terrapex Environmental Ltd. is a respected and growing consulting company providing environmental, geotechnical, and related services to private- and public-sector clients throughout Ontario. Our services include transactional due diligence, site assessment and remediation, environmental liability management, facilities management, consulting/legal support, geotechnical investigation and design, construction inspection and materials testing, occupational hygiene, safety consulting, and environmental and health and safety auditing. Our core values of Integrity, Technical Excellence, Personal Service, Practical Approach and Respect have informed the firm’s development and have created a work environment focused on client service and employee satisfaction.
We have an exciting opportunity for an owner’s Industrial Health and Safety Specialist for a client in Langley, British Columbia. The position is a contract term consisting of 40 hours per week and is anticipated to run from August 2023 to approximately December 2023 with the possibility of extension to one year full-time.
The ideal candidate will have 7-8 years of hands-on H&S experience in an industrial and manufacturing setting and be proficient in the management of high-risk activities including electrical safety, confined space, fall protection, and materials handling all within the context of WorkSafeBC. The candidate must also work well in collaborative environments, have strong verbal and written communication skills, be able to work independently, be detail oriented, and an energetic self-starter who possess a strong work ethic.
Duties and Responsibilities
As our client’s on-site safety representative, you will work in partnership with the current staff to ensure a safe work culture, and, when necessary, work with subcontractors to create a culture of safety that ensures that every employee remain safe. You will help ensure that site safety programs meet regulatory requirements and adhere to the client’s expectations for job site safety, which go above and beyond basic compliance. As a subject matter expert in safety, the successful candidate has a passion for health & safety, is recognized as a self started and, a communicative leader who adheres to the highest standard of excellence.
Typical job assignments may include but are not limited to:
- Perform monthly audits and inspections in program areas to include waste, wastewater, stormwater, and hazardous materials.
- Develop and maintain a safety program.
- Complete permitting applications for review and submittal to regulatory agencies. • Participate in staff and project meetings as needed.
- Conduct assessments of process areas for environmental regulatory applicability
- Perform general health and safety walkthroughs and auditing on a bi-weekly, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Develop corrective actions and documentation.
- Develop policies, training and written procedures as needed.
- Develop risk assessments and safe operating procedures for equipment and chemical use, including but not limited to personal protective equipment (PPE) hazard assessment.
- Maintain site equipment and chemical inventory maintenance.
- Host and/or participate in monthly safety committee meetings.
- Participate in emergency planning and business continuity with Facilities and Risk Management teams.
- Review new research equipment, automated equipment, equipment moves, and lifts, including equipment installations and commissioning of equipment.
- Provide ongoing updates of projects and status to stakeholders.
- Assist in in developing corrective actions and communicating to stake holders.
The successful candidate’s qualifications will include:
- University degree or college diploma in a relevant field (occupational health & safety, environmental and/or safety engineering, safety management, industrial hygiene, sciences).
- 7 to 8 years’ experience with health and safety in the industrial and manufacturing setting.
- Certification or working towards obtaining (CRSP, CSO, NCSO, GSC-CSC, CSP, CIH, etc.).
- Must have a deep understanding of British Columbia Health & Safety Regulations.
- Must be able to conduct on-site training.
- Must have working knowledge of and ability to implement WorkSafeBC programs.
- Must have in depth knowledge of controlling COVID-19 risks in an industrial site. • Familiarity with NFPA, MECCS, and WorkSafeBC.
- Additional safety training such as OSHA 10 or 30-hour for Construction or General Industry, 24-hour or 40-hour HAZWOPER is a plus.
- Proficient with management/supervision of high-risk activities including electrical safety, excavation, fall protection, material handling and crane operations.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and attributes: • Experienced in communicating and problem solving as a team with subcontractors;
- A background and knowledge working with trades such as electricians, ironworkers, pipefitters, etc. (preferred);
- Experienced trainer on health and safety topics;
- Must have strong skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365; • Potential employees may be required to pass a company-paid physical examination, drug-screen and have a valid driver’s license
- Experience conducting site safety audits and inspections;
- Experience conducting incident investigations and reporting;
- Able to juggle multiple priorities with ease, welcomes challenges;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Innate desire to learn and grow;
- Collaborative problem solver;
- Excellent written and verbal communicator who understands the importance of timely communications.
Terrapex offers a competitive rate of pay, commensurate with experience. It is expected that the position may require some additional work, as the work schedule will conform to the hours of the project site.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terrapex is committed to providing a diverse and barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Terrapex will make accommodations available to applicants upon request during the recruitment process.
Terrapex has implemented a COVID-19 Plan and associated policies and procedures. It should be noted that Terrapex currently requires all persons joining the Company to be fully vaccinated, as defined by Health Canada, or to provide satisfactory documentation indicating the individual has a bona-fide medical condition or other such recognized status as stipulated under the Human Rights Code that would support an accommodation.
Disclaimer: Unsolicited referrals and/or resumes submitted from vendors, including recruiting, search and staffing agencies in the absence of a signed recruitment agreement shall not be considered binding and will become the independent property of Terrapex.