Environmental Risk Assessor
Terrapex is searching for an Environmental Risk Assessor to collaborate in the preparation of environmental risk assessment reports, conduct human health and ecological exposure modelling, maintain knowledge of current science and relevant regulatory/guidance documents, and provide technical guidance to team members involved in environmental site assessment.
Working under the leadership and with the support of the Manager, Risk Assessment, successful candidates will be responsible for:
• preparing human health and ecological risk assessments in accordance with regulatory and industry standards;
• assisting in the development of risk-based contaminant management strategies for various clients;
• communicating with internal and external clients;
• review of regulatory and guidance documentation;
• analyzing data for trends and completeness, and to determine significance to the project and the client;
• reviewing and summarizing Environmental Site Assessment and soil vapour sampling work programs;
• development of Risk Assessment Human Health and Ecological Conceptual Site Models;
• proper execution of both standard modeling software and internal proprietary models;
• compilation of Risk Assessment documentation;
• assisting in the provision of technical expertise and advice to project staff; and,
• exemplifying the core values and vision and mission statements of Terrapex in all aspects of their work.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates looking to advance their careers by applying their technical knowledge and leadership skills as part of a multi-disciplinary professional team. As a member of the Risk Assessment team, you will have the opportunity to be part of a variety of interesting projects, accelerate your personal and professional development, and contribute to the continued growth and accomplishment of Terrapex.
Requirements and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field of study such as toxicology, ecology, geology, environmental science, environmental chemistry, or environmental engineering.
• Three or more years of progressive experience in completing human health and/or ecological risk assessments in Ontario, in either a consulting or regulatory setting.
• The ability to become registered with the MECP as a Qualified Person for Risk Assessment (“QPRA”) per Section 6 of O. Reg. 153/04.
• A strong understanding of regulations and standards applicable to environmental risk assessment, including O. Reg. 153/04, RBCA, FCSAP and a basic understanding of other relevant regulations and standards pertinent to supporting investigations (Phase One and Two ESAs, soil vapour sampling, etc.) such as O. Reg. 406/19, Reg. 903, and CSA and ASTM Standards.
• A solid understanding of toxicology, contaminant fate and transport, vapour intrusion, exposure pathway analysis, and data evaluation as they relate to environmental risk assessment.
• Knowledge and proficiency with common risk assessment models (e.g., MECP MGRA, Health Canada PQRA, Johnson & Ettinger, RBCA).
• Strong ability with Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Excel and Word.
• Proven ability to work within quality/budget/schedule expectations.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Exceptional candidates lacking one or more of the above qualifications may also be considered.
At Terrapex, we believe that a consulting career in engineering and applied sciences is more than just a job; it’s a passion. We also believe that quality work can make a difference, and that our employees should enjoy a fun, inclusive, and collaborative work environment, in balance with their personal lives.
Terrapex offers a comprehensive compensation package including:
- Health & Dental Plans
- LTD, Life and AD & D insurance
- Additional, Health Spending Account
- Group RRSP Match
- Paid Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Wellness Initiatives
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Memberships in professional societies
- Paid professional designations
- Ongoing training and development
- Social and charity events
- Bonus opportunities
If you share our enthusiasm for problem solving and providing realistic, pragmatic solutions to technical challenges, and are looking for a firm that will support your professional development and personal pursuit of excellence, then Terrapex is the place for you!
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terrapex is committed to providing a diverse and barrier free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Terrapex will make accommodations available to applicants upon request during the recruitment process.
Terrapex has implemented a COVID-19 Plan and associated policies and procedures. It should be noted that Terrapex currently requires all persons joining the Company to be fully vaccinated, as defined by Health Canada, or to provide satisfactory documentation indicating the individual has a bona-fide medical condition or other such recognized status as stipulated under the Human Rights Code that would support an accommodation.
Disclaimer: Unsolicited referrals and/or resumes submitted from vendors, including recruiting, search and staffing agencies in the absence of a signed recruitment agreement shall not be considered binding and will become the independent property of Terrapex.